1. Be able to list and describe the events that occur in an internal combustion engine.
2. Be able to describe how a spark ignition (Otto-cycle) engine differs in operation from a compression ignition (Diesel-cycle) engine.
3. Be able to diagram and describe the events that occur in sequence during each stroke of a four-stroke cycle engine.
4. Be able to diagram and describe the events that occur in a two-stroke cycle engine.
5. Given the bore, stroke, number of cylinders, and clearance volume, be able to calculate the piston displacement, engine displacement, and compression ratio in both customary and SI units.
Was this article helpful?