1. Dexter, A. R. 1988. Advances in characterization of soil structure. Soil Tillage Res. 11:199-238.
2. Hakansson, I. 1988. A method for characterizing the state of compactness of an arable soil. Impact of Water and External Forces on Soil Structure, Catena Suppl. 11, eds. Drescher, J., R. Horn, and M. De Boodt. Cremlingen: Catena Verlag.
3. Kuipers, H., and C. Van Ouwekerk. 1963. Total pore-space estimation in freshly ploughed soil. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 11:45-53.
4. Allmaras, R. R., R. E. Burwell, W. E. Larson, R. F. Holt, and W. W. Nelson. 1966. Total Porosity and Random Roughness of the Interrow Zone as Influenced by Tillage. USDA, Agricultural Research Service Conservation Research Rept. No. 7. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture.
5. Andersson, S., and I. Hakansson. 1966. Structure dynamics in the topsoil. A field study. Grundfoerbacttring 19:191-228.
6. Carter, M. R. 1986. Temporal variation of soil physical properties following moldboard plowing and direct drilling of a sandy loam soil. Soil Tillage Res. 8:355.
7. Raghavan, G. V. S., E. McKyes, and E. Chasse. 1977. Effect of wheel slip on soil compaction. J. Agric. Eng. Res. 22:79-83.
8. Raghavan, G. V. S., E. Mac Kyes, E. Stenshorn, A. Gray, and B. Beaulieu. 1977. Vehicle compaction patterns in clay soils. Trans. ASAE 20:218-220.
9. Voorhees, W. B., C. G. Senst, and W. W. Nelson. 1978. Compaction and soil structure modification by wheel traffic in the northern Corn-Belt. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 42:344349.
10. Eriksson, J., I. Hakansson, and B. Danfors. 1974. The Effect of Soil Compaction on Soil Structure and Crop Yield. Rept. 354. Uppsala: Swedish Institute of Agricultural Engineering.
11. Soane, B. D. 1970. The effect of traffic and implements on soil compaction. J. Proc. Inst. Agric. Eng. 25:115-126.
12. Barnes, K. K., W. M. Carleton, H. M. Taylor, R. I. Throckmorton, and G. E. Vandenberg (eds.). 1971. Compaction of Agricultural Soils. St. Joseph, MI: American Society of Agricultural Engineers.
13. Garwood, E. A., K. C. Tyson, and C. R. Clement. 1977. A Comparison of Yield and Soil Conditions During 20 Years of Grazed Grass and Arable Cropping. Tech. Rept. 21. Hurley, U.K.: Grassland Research Institute.
14. McKibben, E. G. 1971. Introduction. Compaction of Agricultural Soils. eds. Barnes, K. K., W. M. Carlton, J. M. Taylor, R. I. Throckmorton, and G. E. eds. Vanderberg, pp. 3-6. St. Joseph, MI: American Society of Agricultural Engineers.
15. Hakansson, I. 1979. Experiments with Soil Compaction at High Axle Load. Soil Investigation 1-2 Years After the Experimental Compaction. Division of Soil Management Rept. 57, 15 pp. Uppsala: Swedish University of Agricultural Science.
16. Paul, C. L., and J. De Vries. 1979. Effect of soil water status and strength on trafficability. Can. J. Soil Sci. 59:313-324.
17. Fekete, A. 1972. Studies of the soil compacting effect of tyres. Mezogazd. Gepes. Tamul. 19:16-26.
18. Cannell, R. Q., F. B. Ellis, D. G. Christian, J. P. Graham, and G. T. Douglas. 1980. Growth and yield of winter cereals after direct drilling, shallow cultivation and ploughing on non-calcareus clay soils. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 94:345359.
19. Bazzoffi, P., and G. Chisci. 1986. Effetto del passaggio di macchinari agricoli e di differenti pratiche agronomiche su alcune caratteristiche fisiche di un suolo limoso-
argilloso del Mugello (Toscana). Ann. 1st. Studio e Difesa del Suolo di Firenze. XVII:41-56.
20. Voorhees, W. B., V. A. Carlson, and C. G. Senst. 1976. Soybean nodulation as affected by wheel traffic. Agron. J. 68:976-979.
21. Soane, B. D., J. W. Dickson, and P. S. Blackwell. 1979. Some options for reducing compaction under wheels on loose soils. Proc. 8th Conf. Int. Soil & Tillage Res. Organ., Stuttgart: Report University of Hohenhein, Vol. 2:347-352.
22. Quirk, J. P. 1978. Some physico-chemical aspects of soil structural stability—A review. Modification of Soil Structure. eds. Emerson, W. W., R. D. Bond, and A. R. Dexter, pp. 3-16. London: Wiley.
23. Bradfield, R. 1936. Am. SoilSurv. Assoc. Bull. XVII:31-32.
24. Dexter, A. R. 1991. Amelioration of soil by natural processes. Soil Tillage Res. 20:87-100.
25. Tisdall, J. M., and J. M. Oades. 1982. Organic matter and water stable aggregates in soils. J. Soil Sci. 33:141-163.
26. Lynch, J. M. 1984. Interaction between biological processes, cultivation and soil structure. Plant Soil 76:307-318.
27. Oades, J. M. 1984. Soil organic matter and structural stability: Mechanisms and implications for management. Plant Soil 76:319-317.
28. Lynch, J. M., and E. Bragg. 1985. Microorganisms and soil aggregate stability. Adv. Soil Sci. Vol. 2:133-171.
29. Edwards, A. P., and J. M. Bremner. 1967. Microaggregates in soils. J. Soil Sci. 18:64-73.
30. Cambier, P. R., and R. Proust. 1981. Etude des association des costituants d'un materiaux ferralitique. Agronomie 1:713-722.
31. Harris, R. F., G. Chester, and O. N. Allen. 1966. Dynamics of soil aggregation. Adv. Agron. 18:107-160.
32. Hamblin, A. P., and D. J. Greenland. 1977. Effects of organic constituents and complexed organic ions on aggregate stability of some East Anglian soils. J. Soil Sci. 28:410-416.
33. Reid, J. B., M. J. Goss, and P. D. Robertson. 1982. Relationship between the decrease in soil stability affected by the growth of maize roots and changes in organically bound iron and aluminum. J. Soil Sci. 33:397-410.
34. Tisdall, J. M., and J. M. Oades. 1979. Stabilization of soil aggregates by the root systems of ryegrass. Aust. J. Soil Res. 17:429-441.
35. Heinonen, R. 1986. Alleviation of soil compaction by natural forces and cultural practices. Land Clearing and Development in the Tropics. eds. Lal, R., P. A. Sanchez, and R. W. Cummings, pp. 285-297. Rotterdam: A. A. Balkema.
36. Passerini, G. 1934. La degradazione delle argille plioceniche. La Bonifica Nelle Colline Argillose. Rome: Ministero dell'Agricoltura e delle Foreste.
37. Passerini, G. 1941. Studi di meccanica pedologica. Dinamismo strutturale del Suolo per Azioni Idromolecolari. Firenze: Barbera Tipografia.
38. Giudici, P. 1954. Evaluation des facteurs determinant la desintegration hidro-moleculaire des aggregates terraux. V Congres Int. de la Science du Sol. Leopoldville:ISSS, Vol. II, pp. 219-228.
39. Stengel, P. 1988. Cracks formation during swelling: effects on soil structure regeneration after compaction. Proc. 11th Confer. Inter. Soil & Tillage Res. Organ. Hedinburg: Int. Soil & Tillage Res. Organ. pp. 147-152.
40. Whiteley, G. M., W. H. Utomo, and A. R. Dexter. 1981. A comparison of penetrometer pressures and the pressures exerted by roots. Plant Soil 61:351-365.
41. Low, A. J. 1955. Improvement in the structural state of soil under ley. J. Soil Sci. 6:179-199.
42. Haussmann, G., and G. Chisci. 1958. Prime osservazioni sull'evoluzione della fer-tilita nelle cotiche monofite di graminacee pratensi. Ann. Sper. Agrar. XII(5):1483-1514.
43. Chisci, G. 1980. Prati e pascoli e fertilita del suolo. Ital. Agric., 117(4):162-192.
44. Elkins, C. B., R. L. Haaland, and C. S. Hoveland. 1977. Grass roots as a tool for penetrating soil hardpans and increasing crop yield. Proc. 34th Southern Pasture and Forage Crop Improvement Conference, Auburn, AL: Auburn Univ. pp. 21-26.
45. Dexter, A. R. 1987. Mechanics of root growth. Plant Soil 98:303-312.
46. Barley, K, P. 1970. The influence of earthworms on soil fertility. I. Earthworm population found in agricultural land near Adelaide. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 10: 171-178.
47. Low, A. J. 1972. The effect of cultivation on the structure and other physical characteristics of grassland and arable soils (1945-1970). J. Soil Sci. 23:363-380.
48. McKenzie, B. M., and A. R. Dexter. 1987. Physical properties of casts of the earthworm Aporrectodea rosea. Biol. Fertil. Soils 5:152-157.
49. McKenzie, B. M., and A. R. Dexter. 1988. Axial pressure generated by the earthworm Aporrectodea rosea. Biol. Fertil. Soils 5:323-327.
50. Ehlers, W., U. Kopke, F. Hesse, and W. Bohm. 1983. Penetration resistence and root growth of oats in tilled and untilled loess soil. Soil Tillage Res. 3:261-275.
51. Wang, J., J. D. Esketh, and J. T. Wolley. 1986. Preexisting channels and soybean rooting patterns. Soil Sci. 141:432-437.
52. Utomo, W. H., and A. R. Dexter. 1981. Age-hardening of agricultural top-soil. J. Soil Sci. 32:335-350.
53. Kemper, W. D., and R. C. Rosenau. 1984. Soil cohesionas affected by time and water content. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 49:979-983.
54. Molore, M. B., I. C. Grieve, and E. R. Page. 1985. Thixotropic changes in the stability of molded soil aggregates. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 49:979-983.
55. Mwendera, E. J., and J. Feyen. 1994. Effects of tillage and rainfall on soil surface roughness and properties. Soil Technol. 7:93-103.
56. Chisci, G., G. Lorenzi, and L. Piccolo. 1978. Effect of a ferric conditioner on clay soil. Modification of Soil Structure. eds. Emerson, W. W., R. D. Bound, and A. R. Dexter, pp. 309-314. London: Wiley.
57. Pla, I. 1977. Aggregate size and erosion control on sloping land treated with hydrophobic bitumen emulsion. Soil Conservation and Management in the Humid Tropics. eds. Greenland, D. J., and R. Lal, pp. 109-115. London: Wiley.
58. De Kesel, M., and D. DeWleeschauwer. 1981. Sand dune fixation in Tunisia by means of polyurea polyalkilene oxide (Uresol). Tropical Agriculture Hydrology. eds. Lal, R., and E. W. Russell, pp. 273-281. Chichester: Wiley.
59. Sumner, M. E., and B. A. Stewart. 1992. Soil Crusting: Chemical and Physical Processes. Vol. 20, Adv. Soil Sci: Chelsea, MI: Lewis.
60. Morgan, R. P. C. 1995. Soil Erosion and Conservation, 2nd ed. Longman.
61. Ferries, P.J. 1985. Feedback relationship between aggregate stability, rainsplash erosion and soil crusting. Assessment of Soil Surface Crusting and Sealing. eds. Colle-baut, F., D. Gabriels, and M. De Boodt, pp. 82-90. Ghent: State University of Ghent.
62. Le Bissonnais, Y., A. Bruand, and M. Jamagne. 1989. Laboratory experimental study of soil crusting: Relation between aggregate break-down mechanisms and crust structure. Catena 16:377-392.
63. Bresson, L. M., and J. Boiffin. 1990. Morphological characterization of soil crust development stages on an experimental field. Geoderma 47:301-325.
64. Bresson, L. M., and L. Cadot. 1992. Illuviation and structural crust formation on loamy temperate soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 56:1565-1570.
65. Tanaka, U., Y. Yokio, and K. Kiuma. 1992. Morphological characteristics of soil surface crusts formed under simulated rainfall. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 38:655-664.
66. Shaimberg, L., G. H. Levy, P. Rengasamy, and H. Frenkel. 1982. Aggregate stability and seal formation as affected by drops inpact energy and soil amendments. Soil Sci. 154:113-119.
67. Slattery, M. C., and R. B. Bryan. 1994. Surface seal development under simulated rainfall on an actively eroded surface. Catena 22:17-34.
68. Hoogmoed, W. B., and L. Stroosmijder. 1984. Crust formation on sandy soils in the Sahel. Rainfall and infiltration. SoilTillage Res. 4:5-23.
69. Collins, J. F., G. W. Smillie, and S. M. Hussain. 1986. Laboratory studies of crust development in Irish and Iraqui soils. III. Micromorphological observations of artificially formed crusts. Soil Tillage Res. 6:337-350.
70. Kooistra, M. J., and W. Siderius. 1986. Micromorphological aspects of crust formation in a Savanna climate under rainfed subsistence agriculture. Assessment of Soil Surface Sealing and Crusting. eds. Callebaut, F., D. Gabriels, and M. De Boodt, Ghent, Belgium: University of Ghent.
71. Valentin, C., and L. M. Bresson. 1992. Morphology, genesis and classification of surface crusts in loamy and sandy soils. Geoderma 55:225-245.
72. Poesen, J. 1992. Mechanisms of overland-flow generation and sediment production on loamy and sandy soils with and without rock fragments. Overland Flow Hydraulics and Erosion Mechanics. eds. Parsons, A. J., and A. D. Abrahms, pp. 275-305. London: UCL Press.
73. Hillel, D. 1960. Crust formation in loessial soils. Trans. VI Int. Congress Soil Science, Madison WI: ISSS, pp. 330-337.
74. Farres, P. 1978. The role of time and aggregate size in the crusting process. Earth Surface Processes, 3:243-254.
75. Boiffin, J. 1985. Stage and time-dependency of soil crusting in situ. Assessment of Soil Surface Crusting and Sealing. eds. Callebaut, F., D. Gabriels, and M. De Boodt, pp. 91-98. Ghent, Belgium: State University of Ghent.
76. Boiffin, J., and G. Monnier 1985. Infiltration rate as affected by soil surface crusting caused by rainfall. Assessment of Soil Surface Crusting and Sealing. eds. Callebaut,
F., D. Gabriels, and M. DeBoodt, pp. 210-217, Ghent, Belgium: State University of Ghent.
77. Poesen, J. 1985. An improved splash transport model. Z. Geomorphol. 29:193-212.
78. Yariv, S. 1976. Comment on the mechanism of soil detachment by rainfall. Geoderma 15:393-399.
79. Le Bissonnais, Y. 1990. Experimental study and modelling of soil surface crusting processes. Catena Suppl. 17:87-93.
Was this article helpful?