Hazardous Chemicals Worker Monitoring

Workers exposed to certain hazardous chemicals (a list can be found in the Federal Regulation CFR, part 1910, subpart z. 29 CFR 1910 or by contacting local or federal agencies as outlined above) must undergo preplace-ment screening, ongoing evaluations, and an exit evaluation when leaving employment by transfer, retirement, or termination. The examination must be completed by a licensed physician and includes a medical history and physical examination of the patient and may include other laboratory testing (Table 8.2).

If a formal medical surveillance program is implemented, some thought must be given to this process, as once a program is started, employees may question the circumstances if it is somehow discontinued or changed. Most primary care physicians are more than willing to assist in starting a medical

Table 8.2. Resources.

American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, 1330 Kemper Meadow Drive,

Cincinnati, Ohio 45240; phone (513) 742-2020; Web site: www.acgih.org NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health), Building 1, Room 3007, D-35; Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia 30333; phone (404) 639-3061; Web site: www.cdc.gov/niosh/homepage Occupational Safety and Health Administration Department of Labor, 200 Constitution

Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20210; phone (202) 523-8151; Web site: www.osha.gov National Agriculture Safety Data Base, Web site: www.cdc.gov/nasd

American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Web site: www.acoem.org

monitoring program. Local hospitals and health departments may have occupational nurses, audiologists, and industrial hygienists to assist with this process.

0 0

Post a comment