EPA Reg. No. 707-129
Metalworking Fluid Microbiocides
KATHON 886 MW and KATHON 886 MW 1.5% microbiocides are offered for use as preservatives in aqueous metalworking fluids. In this application, they offer the following advantages and benefits:
- Broad-spectrum activity; controls bacteria, fungi, molds, yeasts
- Ten times more effective than competitive biocides; one gallon of KATHON 886 MW preserves 8,000-10,000 gallons of metalworking fluid for about three weeks.
- Direct addition to the holding tank by automatic metering or as a "shock" treatment
- Nonhazardous at use dilutions
- Compatible with most components of metalworking fluids; is not deactivated by organic matter; does not produce foam
- Chemically stable as supplied at least 6 months at 50C; indefinitely stable at ambient temperatures
- Effective over a wide range of pH
- EPA-registered for use in metalworking fluids
Physical and Chemical Properties KATHON 8 86 MW
Appearance: Amber to gold slightly viscous liquid Odor: Mild, aromatic Density, lb/gal: 10.4
KATHON 886 MW 1.5%
Appearance: Pale yellow to green liquid Odor: Mild, aromatic Density, lb/gal: 8.4
The active ingredients are the compounds identified according to Chemical Abstracts nomenclature as 5-chloro-2-methyl-4-iso-thiazolin-3-one and 2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one.
Was this article helpful?