D SCS planning policy on control of pollutants

The National Conservation Planning Manual, part 506, establishes the level of SCS involvement in pollution abatement activities. Subpart C Appendix, Section 507.31, "Guide to SCS Technical Assistance in Control of Pollutants," gives the appropriate levels of assistance that can be provided for managing such activities as livestock waste, food processing waste, pesticides, and municipal wastewater and sludge. Technical assistance should always be provided within the limits of knowledge and ability of the available personnel.

Livestock waste—Inventory (I), planning (P), and application (A) assistance may be provided for agricultural waste management systems if the wastes are to be used for a beneficial purpose, such as use of water, nutrients, and organic material. P and A do not apply to systems used strictly for disposal.

Food processing waste—I, P, and A may be provided to farmers, ranchers, and food processors for waste management systems that include beneficial use of water, nutrients, and organic material. SCS doesn't often provide P and A to large corporate food processors. Traditionally, I, P, and A have been provided to smaller, family owned and operated food processing companies that grow the products that they process.

Pesticides—I and P can be provided for a wide range of activities related to use and management of pesticides and waste pesticides. Application according to label, equipment operator protection, spill cleanup, equipment cleaning, container disposal, storage and transport, and filling and mixing areas are included. The use and management of pesticide waste should be carried out using guidelines and procedures jointly developed with the Cooperative Extension Service, experiment stations, and the pesticide industry.

Municipal wastewater and sewage sludge—The SCS policy establishes I, P, and A for farmers and ranchers who accept sludge, septage, and wastewater for beneficial agricultural purposes. P and A are not to be provided where wastewater or sludge is applied to land owned or controlled by a municipality or industry or where land applications are used strictly for disposal. (Sludge from municipal wastewater treatment facilities is solid waste, which comes under the pur view of Public Law 580, Solid Waste Disposal Act, or Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976.)

Was this article helpful?

0 0
Organic Gardeners Composting

Organic Gardeners Composting

Have you always wanted to grow your own vegetables but didn't know what to do? Here are the best tips on how to become a true and envied organic gardner.

Get My Free Ebook

Post a comment